The third edition of the EU Datathon has been officially launched by the Publications Office of the European Union, in partnership with the Romanian Presidency of the Council of the European Union.
The EU Datathon is a growing-in-popularity event aiming to further stimulate the use of open data issued by the European Union. It allows competitors to showcase their data skills and innovative ideas.
Furthermore, it offers them the opportunity to network and gather support in order to continue developing their ideas after the competition. As a participant from one of last year’s finalist teams concluded: ‘This experience gives me strength to go even further.’
Participants are invited to develop apps and interactive visualisations offering new services or public information insights to citizens, public authorities and businesses. They have to use at least one dataset made available by the EU institutions and agencies and/or the competition’s international partners, and they may link these data with other datasets.
The participating teams can compete with their apps in one horizontal or two thematic challenges:
- ‘Innovative ideas through EU open data’
- ‘New insights into economics and finance’
- ‘Tackling climate change’
We’re so excited! TODAY we launch the third #EUdatathon! Compete with your #app for one of the challenges! Deadline for submissions: 24 March ⏳https://t.co/yfFFPJkbn3 @ro2019eu @EULawDataPubs pic.twitter.com/tVxL2a2Xps
— EU Open Data 🇪🇺 (@EU_opendata) 28 janvier 2019
The competition is supported by the European Parliament’s Preparatory Action “Linked Open Data in the European Public Administration” and the European Commission ISA2 programme (Interoperability solutions for public administrations, businesses and citizen).
Joining the 2019 competition gives the opportunity to win one of the cash prizes in each challenge:
- 1st prize EUR 15.000
- 2nd prize EUR 7.000
- 3rd prize EUR 3.000
The competition will culminate with the final conference in Brussels on 13 June 2019, where finalists will present their projects in front of an expert jury and the open data community.
The partners of the EU Datathon 2019 are:
- The European Central Bank;
- The European Commission’s Directorate-General for Budget;
- The European Commission’s Directorate-General for Economic and Financial Affairs;
- The European Commission’s Directorate-General for Energy;
- The European Environment Agency;
- The European Investment Bank;
- The European Investment Fund;
- The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations,
- The Joint Research Centre of the European Commission.
To join, learn more or follow the event in person or via streaming, visit the official website.